After Eights, those iconic chocolate mints, have been a delightful treat for many. But for those who follow a vegan lifestyle, there’s a burning question: Are After Eights vegan-friendly or vegetarian?
In this article, we’ll dive into the world of these thin chocolatey squares, exploring their ingredients, their place in a vegan diet, and whether you can indulge in them while staying true to your vegan principles.
What Are After Eights?
Before we uncover their vegan status, let’s introduce After Eights to the uninitiated.
After Eights are thin, square-shaped chocolate mints known for their rich dark chocolate coating and minty fondant filling.
They are often enjoyed as an elegant after-dinner treat or a sweet indulgence at any time.
To determine whether After Eights are vegan, let’s dissect their ingredients list.
After Eights Ingredients
According to Nestle website, After Eights ingredients are as follow:
- Sugar: The primary sweetener in After Eights is sugar, which is typically vegan as it’s derived from sugarcane or sugar beets.
- Cocoa Mass and Cocoa Butter: After Eights contain cocoa mass and cocoa butter, both derived from cocoa beans. These are plant-based ingredients and are vegan-friendly.
- Mint Oil: The minty flavor in After Eights comes from mint oil, which is extracted from mint plants and is vegan.
- Milk Ingredients: Are not vegan friendly.
- Lecithin: Lecithin is often used in chocolate as an emulsifier. It is usually derived from soy or sunflower, making it vegan.
- Glucose Syrup: Glucose syrup, another common ingredient in After Eights, is often derived from corn, wheat, or potatoes. While it can be plant-based, there’s a possibility that it may be processed using enzymes from animal sources, so it’s a potential concern for some vegans.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is a humectant used in foods. It can be sourced from both plant and animal fats, so it’s important to check the source.
READ : Are After Eights Halal?
Are After Eights Vegan?
No, After Eights are not vegan friendly, as they contain milk ingredients.
From the ingredients list, it appears that most components of After Eights are vegan-friendly, except the milk ingredients.
Are After Eights Vegetarian?
Yes, After Eights are vegetarian friendly, as they only contain milk as an animal derived ingredients.
Vegetarians can typically enjoy After Eights as they do not contain gelatin or other animal-derived ingredients.
After Eights are not considered vegan friendly, due the inclusion of milk ingredients.