After a hectic week, it was a relaxing weekend this time. Me and my husband had stomach pleasing lunch, meanwhile a thought of making a yummy dessert post dinner, popped up in my mind.
Its been a long time since we worked together in kitchen. So, we took a glance of the fruit stock at home, found Guava, strawberries, blueberries, mango pudding & Nutella.
After a long discussion, we decided to make “Guava Puff Pastry”, hmmm….I know ..it sounds delicious and trust me, it was !
Though Puff preparation takes a long time involving lot of steps, we had ample time for preparing it as we were only going to have that after dinner.
Guava Puff pastry recipe
Guava cream: ( for 1 cup of cream Qty)
- Guava – 1 No.
- 2 tbsp Mango pudding
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar depending on the taste
- 2 tbsp Vanilla essence
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Guava cream
- 6-8 cubes Butter + 1 cup for applying on prepared dough
- 1-2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- 6-8 Strawberries
- Blueberries – handful
- 2 tbsp Nutella syrup
- Now that all the ingredients were ready, first of all I started with Guava cream. I grabbed a blender on the table, he passed on all the Guava cream ingredients mentioned above. I made sure that the guava pieces were seedless, then added all the ingredients to the blender. I pushed the blender knob to a high mode for 3-5 min. The guava cream was super soft with a nice yellow-green texture. We couldnot really wait until dinner and straightaway tasted it and guess what…..!! we were humming tunes to sync the melting of the cream on our taste buds.
- Coming back from the cream world, I took a mixing bowl to prepare puff dough. I put all the ingredients in the bowl and started kneading.
- The guava cream and butter had enough moisture to make a perfect dough, so I did not add water to knead the dough.The yeast takes time to rise, at least 1.5- 2 hours. I kept the dough in a clean bowl, covered with a lid and left it untouched for 1.5 hours.
- We somehow managed to pass the time by watching a food related movie. After 1.5 hours, the dough was ready, double in size …very fluffy just like a soft toy.
- I took a rolling-pin, flattened the full dough ball into a medium thick rectangle. Then spread 2 tablespoon butter evenly on it and folded it into half. It is good to refrigerate the dough after this step, for 10 min. Again I flattened the dough,applied butter, folded & refrigerated.
- Repeated the step for 3 times. Finally, I flattened the dough to a medium thickness, took a small round & sharp mouthed cap and pressed on the flattened dough to get round pie shaped pastries. Ended up with 8 No.s (pastry)
- Baking Time!!! Arranged all the round cut pastry dough on a baking sheet and baked it for about 15 min. We were excited to see the crispy puff pastries out of tray.
- After a quick yet simple dinner , it was time to have the Dessert.
- Rich Nutrient puff pastry dessert
- All the efforts were to be reflected on the plate through presentation. We both took one plate each & started doing.
- A little guava cream was left, so I put 1 teaspoon of the cream, then 4 puff pastries for each plate. Fruits are good for health 🙂 garnished the pastry with little more guava cream on top and on it comes the red strawberries. Also, added blueberries and Nutella syrup to enhance the flavour.
It tasted like heaven & also we found it equivalent to one complete meal.