Trying to figure out whether Mambas are gluten free can be difficult.
Candy manufacturers ofen mask the actual ingredients behind vague terms, and even when they do give you a full list, they never include how those ingredients were made.
And here’s what I found: Mambas are gluten free.
This answer might seem simple, but it requires a bit of unpacking. To fully understand it, we need to take a closer look at what Mamba Candy is and what goes into each chewy piece.
What is Mamba Candy?
Mamba Candy is a brand of fruit chew candies that’s been around for quite some time.
These candies come in a variety of flavors, including strawberry, raspberry, lemon, and orange. Each pack of Mamba Candy is like a fruit basket in your pocket, ready to deliver a burst of fruity flavor whenever the craving strikes.
But Mamba Candy isn't just about flavor. Part of the joy of eating a piece of Mamba Candy is the chewy experience it provides.
It’s this combination of taste and texture that has made Mamba Candy a favorite among many.
So, what goes into each piece of Mamba Candy?
Ingredients in Mamba Candy
The ingredients can vary depending on the specific flavor, but most varieties contain a similar base of ingredients.
These typically include:
- Glucose Syrup: This is a common ingredient in many candy products, including Mamba Candy. It provides sweetness and helps create the candy’s chewy texture.
- Sugar: This is the primary sweetener in Mamba Candy. After all, what’s candy without a bit of sweetness?
- Palm Oil: This is used to prevent the candy from sticking and to enhance its texture. It’s what helps give Mamba Candy its satisfying chew.
- Fruit Juice Concentrates: These give the candy its specific fruit flavor. It’s like a concentrated burst of fruit in each piece.
- Gelatin: This is used to give the candy its chewy texture. It’s one of the key ingredients that make Mamba Candy so delightfully chewy.
In the next section, we’ll dive into the question, “Are traditional Mambas gluten free?” and explore the gluten status of these ingredients.
Are Traditional Mambas Gluten-Free?
Yes, Mambas are gluten free, as they are free from gluten ingredients.
Gluten is a type of protein found in certain grains, including wheat, barley, and rye. It’s what gives bread its stretchy texture and helps it rise during baking.
Glucose syrup can be derived from wheat, however the production methods involve a high level of hydrolysation, meaning there is no significant gluten content in the sugars.[source]
So, does Mamba Candy contain gluten? No, Mambas do not contain gluten.
Please note that, cross-contamination can occur when a product is made on the same equipment as products that do contain gluten.
Even a small amount of gluten can cause symptoms in those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
Unfortunately, Mamba Candy doesn’t carry a gluten free label, and the company doesn’t make any gluten-free claims for the product.
This means that while the ingredients in Mamba Candy are gluten-free, we can’t be 100% sure that the product is free from cross-contamination.
In the next section, we’ll explore gluten-free alternatives to Mamba Candy and provide tips on what to look for when choosing gluten free candy.
Gluten-Free Alternatives to Mamba Candy
While traditional Mambas may not be guaranteed gluten-free, there are several brands on the market that offer gluten-free candy alternatives.
These brands often use gluten free ingredients and take precautions to prevent cross-contamination.
Some popular gluten-free candy brands include:
- YumEarth: This brand offers a variety of gluten-free candies, including fruit snacks and gummy bears. They are certified gluten free and made with organic ingredients.
- Surf Sweets: Surf Sweets offers a range of gluten-free gummies and jelly beans. They are also free from artificial flavors and colors.
- Enjoy Life: Enjoy Life offers a variety of gluten-free and allergy-friendly candies, including chocolate bars and chewy bars.
What to Look for in Gluten Free Candy
When looking for gluten-free candy, there are a few key things to keep in mind:
- Check the Ingredients: Look for any ingredients that may contain gluten, such as wheat, barley, or malt.
- Look for Certifications: Some products will have gluten-free certifications, which can provide assurance that the product is gluten-free.
- Contact the Company: If you’re unsure about a product, don’t hesitate to contact the company for more information.
Key Takeaways: Mambas Are Gluten Free
The primary ingredients of Mamba Candy are gluten-free, which means that Mambas are gluten free and safe for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.